View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #77
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Since the metadata including cover is updated on any export from the library ("save to disk" and "send to device"), I stand by my reasoning: If you update the metadata from within Calibre, users might be tempted to just go into the library folder and pick the books out themselves for manual transfer. This can lead to Bad Things happening, as we've seen many times on this board. Kiwidude gave the only pro-updating argument I can see as being valid.
Further to that (and again viewer related) - it would mean the ebook viewer uses the same title in it's window that you have in Calibre rather than that used within the metadata. Could make identifying windows for comparing duplicates easier at times.

As for the other point about users being tempted to go direct etc. Personally I don't see that as an issue. There are already "complications" from the internal filenaming standard that Calibre uses which discourage such actions. Plus when I use "export" I know that I can get series information in the name which I could not get from going direct etc.

At the end of the day given the miniscule proportion of Calibre users that visit these forums, then the even smaller proportion who find this thread and are technical/willing to try plugins you are pretty much limited to hardcore Calibre users who know better anyways...