View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #38
rireed3
Connoisseur
rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook 1, Cybook Gen3
I have a different epub/ADE device, a BeBook I. This thread made me a bit nervous because I have been trying different epub/ADE firmwares available for its HanLin V3 hardware, so I went back and re-flashed them all, trying the ctrl-shift-e.

This is what I found:
  • With a device running a new firmware connected, ADE will start with a prompt from some Adobe 'configuration manager' for authentication of the device.
  • If you have an SD card (you must if you re-flashed), it will do this again the next time, until you have authenticated twice, but there is no need for the second one, and it probably wastes an authorization - I just ignore it, and you can turn off the prompt.
  • The only way to tell if this firmware has been authorized is to do ctrl-shift-e. ADE is really horrible software and doesn't work every time. I think it only works when the remote device is selected in the left pane, and I've had to restart ADE even though I knew I had an authorization, so you can only guess there are none on this firmware by repeated ctrl-shift-e-attempts/ADE-restarts.
  • I didn't see any indication that subsequent re-flashing of the same firmware after others uses up authorization counts, and I have been through each of three firmwares 3 times, 4 for two of them, although I did start deauthorizing after 4 (times 2?).
I hope this sheds some light on silly ADE.

Richard
rireed3 is offline   Reply With Quote