View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
fcoulter
Enthusiast
fcoulter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Feature Request - Edit File Option

I, as a bunch of other people, probably use both Sigil and Calibre. I'm sure that there are other eBook editing programs out there.

I would love to have an "Edit Book" button in Calibre. It would do the following:

1) Look in the preferences for the location of the editing program
2) Look in the preferences for the file type needed by the editing program
3) If neccessary, convert the book to the file type needed by the editing program
3a) I'm not sure which file would be converted. Perhaps the oldest version, or perhaps the "cleanest". This might also be something for the preferences to give as options.
4) Launch the editing program and load the file to be edited

If I knew python -- it's on my to be learned list -- I'd take a swing at it. But I dont', so I won't.

It might be interesting if Calibre also would also delete (or archive or something) the earlier versions of books after editing. In other words, if you've got a book in pdf & mobi format, and you want to edit it in Sigil. For example:
  1. First, it would convert the book to ePub.
  2. Second, it would launch Sigl with the converted ePub.
  3. Third, after the book was saved, it would give the option of deleting/archiving the older non-edited versions of the book.

This would seem like a useful capability within Calibre. I'm not asking for Calibre to turn into something it's not, just be able to launch a useful program from within Calibre.
fcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote