View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
so far I used em for all my margins. When I change the size of the font (by the zoom buttons on the ebook reader), I want that things like margins or text intend also change that way.

Where is the big difference between em and % ?

@Charleski

Talking about default font size: I just made a test with my Bebook. I took the same html file and used 3 different css files.

In the first try I did not set the body font size, I used the default of the reader. In the 2nd try, I set the base font to 1em. And with the 3rd try, I set it to 20 px.

The results: First of all: like I expected, setting no base fontsize gave the same result like setting it to 1em. The text was awfull small. I wear glasses (but the last time I had my eyes checked was less then 6months ago). I could read the text (but it wasn't easy), but I know someone like my 65 year old father would have needed a looking glass (or the zoom buttons on the Bebook)

Then I looked at some full lines with no intend (just to add: the text was justified, but contains no long words on this lines). The first line had like 87 characters, the next that I tried was 82.
When I zoomed in 1 level, it looked much better and I had around 64 characters on a line.

So I looked at the 3rd test, the one with base font set to 20px. The font size itself was much better, about 2-2.5 milimeters high. I also looked at some lines: The first one had 70 characters, the next one had 66.

I don't know, but for me, it seems as if I should use something like 20-22 (or maybe even 24) px as font size for my device.
However, if I use a different device ... oh man, everything is so complicated ...
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote