View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 04:04 AM   #12
jokeyth
jokeyth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
Ciao my Kobo is not bricked, I was just interested because I'm starting to look into modifying the bootloader ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200772 ) and I'd like to find out if I could permanently brick my device by flashing a non-working one.
Hi Giorgio,

Hacking the bootloader is not an easy task at all. It is a binary file and much more a binary file which is made for a specific embedded device. As I told you when I opened my Kobo I had a look of the hardware and I did not see any memory apart the internal SD, but this does not mean that it is present to the other side of the board or that the processor the Kobo is using has an internal flash memory where the bootloader is stored.

What I would try if I were in your shoes could be to see if I could emulate the Kobo on a PC. It is a Linux based system and there might be chances to make it work with virtualbox or wmaware. Maybe, it is not a good idea (I am not an expert of virtualization) but if you would be able to do it then you could make all the test you want without harming your real device.

Regards,

Maurizio.
jokeyth is offline   Reply With Quote