View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #359
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
This one?

http://www.dafont.com/goodfish.font

Looks fishy indeed. Very elongated, but stylish I'll try that too.

edit: Note: I compare all fonts to Caecilia 4, as I've been using that one for over a year.

Just tried Goodfish. It's a beautiful font to look at, using thin and thick lines, but it's small. Very small. Tiny, in fact. It's so small, that Goodfish 5 still easily gains 3 lines on screen over Caecilia 4. This is a very elegant font, if you don't mind the smallness or are willing to set a larger size. Because of the elongated letters, it's less readable than other fonts, at least for me.

I've also just finished my fat DejaVu Serif. It looks good, IMHO. It has a much more "bookish" look than the blocky Caecilia, which, to me, looks much more "typewriter-ish. DejaVu Serif and Caecilia are the same size. Because the letters are spaced closer together, DejaVu Serif 4 gains about one line on screen over Caecilia 4. Readbility is about equal; it depends on what you like.

Next I've also modified one of my favourite foonts on paper, Georgia. It looks good on screen, but it's hard for me to get the size as I want it. It's much smaller than Caecilia. When both are set to size 4, Georgia gains about 6,5 lines on screen over Caecilia. However, it does look good, and it's very readable. Setting the size to 5, makes it loose 2 lines over Caecilia 4, so it's not unusable or anything. It's worth checking out if you like this old standby when reading paper.

And last but not least, the font many love on screen, but hate on paper: Verdana. I've fattened it up a bit, same as the others. It's size is equal to Caecila, but the letters are a bit closer together. Therefore it gains one line on screen, if both are set to size 4. Like Caecila, Verdana is not a beautiful font, but it is very readable. It looks comparable to Helvetica, but it's a tad bigger: With both set to size 4, Helvetica gains 2,5 lines on screen.

I've also tried Trebuchet, but I don't like the way it displays some letters, such as "g"; therefore I didn't keep it.

If you want to try the fatter DejaVu Serif, you can download it from my webspace; it's a free font (LICENSE). If you want to also try the fat Georgia and Verdana, you can PM me, and I'll send you the (not so hard to guess) download link.

DejaVu Serif, fat version:
http://members.home.nl/katsunami/misc/DejaVu-Fat.zip

To summarize: Should I leave Caecilia 4, then it would probably be for my fat DejaVu Serif font, at least for now. The reason would solely be that DejaVu Serif looks much more like a "book font" to me than Caecilia does. In all other things, such as size, fatness and readability, they're about equal.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-31-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote