View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #40
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I've had a real hate/gratitude relationship with Calibre.
This used to describe my attitude as well. Since I have started to use Calibre extensively I keep finding really, REALLY cool features and I realize I can't live without it anymore.
I have configured the GUI - removed those ugly yellow bars using Tweaks and replaced toolbar with menu (easy to do in Preferences) and did some other things I am happy.
Quote:
No matter what minor task you want to accomplish, Calibre assumes you want it to have total control of every book on your hard drive and are never planning on using any other software (including Windows Explorer) for any related purpose again.
It really is like iTunes for ebooks ಠ_ಠ
Come ON!
You can't compare Calibre to iTunes.
You can configure it extensively. This is THE best part.
The only thing you can't do is to change the directory structure that it keeps the books in. But, disk-space is dirt-cheap nowadays (at least when it comes to storing ebooks), and you can use "Save to disk" feature if you want to access chosen books in different manner - with a standard file manager.
Simply consider the Calibre Library folder a black box or a database. It would be extremely difficult to rebuild Calibre to use user-configurable file structure.
If you only want to use conversion capabilities, without putting books in the database (understand Calibre Library folder), you can use command-line components of Calibre
Quote:
When you do have more than a few dozen ebooks that you want to get organized with metadata and you're committed to using Calibre to do it, it's mostly great.
I have committed to do it in Calibre, and the advantages *hugely* outweigh those few features that I do not like that much.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote