View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 01:13 AM   #14
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Given that the current state of digital text books is rather horrendous I am not in favor of this.

Most companies do one of two things, either use an odd ball DRM that restricts you to using a special program to view it (which are often Windows only), or have everything on a webpage. Neither is that great, and also very common with both is that you get locked into a limited time span. Six months is as long as I've seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
From what I've heard, electronic textbooks are somewhat cheaper than their print version but the student gets to resell the print one (or keep it).
Somewhat, but usually aint much. One class I had, had two books from the same publisher, and was meant as a pair (one book had the content, and the other had the exercises and practice tips). Ebook of the main book was $10 less than the paper book, but the ebook of the second book was $9 more than the paper book. Ooh boy, I would have saved a whopping dollar.

In my accounting classes (I'm a compsci major, so tell me again why accounting classes are manditory?), the ebook averages about $30 cheaper (which, when you're talking $200+ books, isn't that big of a deal). The crappy thing, is some companies upsell you. They give kickbacks to the schools to use their homework system, and charge you to access the homework (McGraw Hill averages about $45). I had a few classes, where that was not announced until after classes had started (wasn't in syllabus or in any thing given prior to start of class), so had to shell that out of my pocket, since was too late to try and use financial aid.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote