View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Screen alternatives

Just read the post about SiPix production in the News forum. That lead me to Nate's "The Digital Reader Blog", which lead me to the Nemoptic company website.

Seems that Nemoptic, a French company, has been developing screens for a while. They have a genuine A4 size screen (210mm X 297mm) either in production by a partner or production ready (the distinction isn't clear to me). It boasts 200 dpi, 8:1 contrast, and "a fast refreshing capability, without any blinking effect."

They also have a 5" color display either being producted or ready for production.

If these displays are available why aren't they being used? Why do all the ereaders seem to be using the same displays, in the same sizes, from the same manufacturers? How many other options are being ignored by the ereader manufacturers?

Based on my reading here at MR, it seems that there is a niche of pent up demand for A4 sized displays that would render full size pdf's and make newspaper/magazine reading much more convenient. I think that once that niche is met, word of mouth and market exposure would create an explosion of ereader acceptance in the business, academic, and tech worlds.

Thoughts?
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote