View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #68
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Until it happens to them one day and then they "get" the reasons why.

I'm just thinking though, at a guess, the majority of people having a kindle would not even think of backing their purchases to a hard drive. After all, it's always "in the cloud". So even if the purchases were not DRM'ed, and if an account was closed, there's no way of retrieving them anyway as most people don't backup to a local drive. Just us geeks do that!
Yup.

However, the latest report from Amazon PR says this:

"Update @ 00:30 -*Amazon PR just wrote to say: "We would like to clarify our policy on this topic.*Account status should not affect any customer's ability to access their library.*If any customer has trouble accessing their content, he or she should contact customer service for help.*Thank you for your interest in Kindle."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
now I'm curious what the 1984 debacle was!
I'm probably going to do a lot job explaining but my understanding is that someone put up a ebook copy of "1984" for sale at Amazon. Some people bought it before the rights- holder pitched a fit to Amazon that that seller had no rights to it.

So Amazon remotely deleted the copies from the Kindles it was on and that they could reach, then refunded the purchasers. I think they also have a gift certificate to the purchasers, but not sure when.

Huge outcry ensued, Amazon (Bezos himself, i think) apologized, and said it (remotely removing an ebook from akindle without user permission) should not have been done, and promised to take measures to ensure it never would be done again.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote