View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #24
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
But just because someone calls themselves an "editor" doesn't mean they are a good one. There is no supervised certification program to become an editor.
Very true except that in some countries there are certification programs; but even then, it is no guarantee.

I have been a professional editor for more than 28 years and I have taught colleagues the ins and outs of editing, yet even I have difficulty at times in determining in advance how good or bad a particular editor is.

When choosing an editor, the first hurdle for an author is knowing exactly what services are wanted. Some editors are better at developmental editing and others at copyediting. Too often I have spoken with authors who are unclear about what services they want, making it hard to guide them. For a simple discussion of the two types of editors, see my blog post, Editor, Editor, Everywhere an Editor.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote