View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
what it matters more powerful and hot CPUs when mobile devices tend to lock up when it starts getting too hot?

CPU-intensive tasks demand desktops or higher, not pocket ovens. Mobile craze has made many people lose their machines when put under such stress as movie-quality 3D graphic rendering on laptops for instance. People simply don't understand that they are different tools for different jobs and that mining with a spoon is not a good idea.
I somewhat agree. However, a few years ago laptops were running so hot you couldn't even hold them in your lap. Heat = battery drain. My son has an older laptop and he is lucky if he get's two hours of use from the battery as most of the laptop's energy is wasted in the form of heat. I bought a dual core laptop last year that runs so cool I can not only set in my lap but, I get almost 5 hours of use from the battery.

If history has taught us anything it's that the newer processors are thinner and run more efficiently and waste little power in the form of heat. More evidence of this is desktops. A few years ago it wasn't uncommon to buy a desktop with a 450 - 500 watt power supply. My son bought a core i7 machine late last year with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card and it came with a 300 watt power supply.

According to the specs: NVIDIA implemented a stealth 5th-core and their patent-pending Variable Symmetric Multiprocessing (vSMP) technology to deliver up to 61 percent lower power consumption in certain use cases. This translates into an industry-leading 12 hours of battery life for HD video playback.

Guess we'll find out soon if it can hold up to this claim.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote