View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I don't know of a single e-ink device that does all of that. If you're willing to use an LCD screen, that opens the field, but in e-ink the only device with a built in light is the Sony 700, but as with the 505, it has no dictionary. I don't think their batteries are technically user replaceable, either, but people do just like they do with iPods. If you're willing to use an external booklight, I think the Kindle 1 is closest to your list. The Kindle 2 has no external memory card or user replaceable battery. You can buy cases with built in lights for all three of the non-lit models you mentioned or use the clip on kind.

As for sturdiness, the screen is the weakest part and they all have that in common. None of these devices are what I would call rugged and none of them stand out as more durable than the rest. A good case is a must.

Sony does support more formats out of the box without conversion. If you're willing to convert files (and possibly remove DRM which may not be legal where you live) you have many options for the Kindle. The Kindle Myths and Partial Truths article covers this topic quite well.

You may want to check out the Which One Should I Buy board if you haven't already. There are a lot more options out there these days than just the Sony and Kindle.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote