View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
choff
choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.

Device: Kindle DXG
Hey bdaddy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddy View Post
choff,
(1) What would you say is the simplest, easiest procedure for performing a full system image backup of a kindle?

(2) Do you think it is possible to do such a thing without having to build a serial adapter?
Backup is always a good idea. As you know, the Kindle has an SSD divided into a "home" partition(/mnt/us) and the actual operating system partition (/), which is about 200Mb, I think.

You are sure going to need ssh. I think the Kindle 3 have already figured out a way to make usbnetwork via the g_ether module work as they did with the DX.

Then you should be able to just compress the whole root(/) as a .tar.gz. That part should be easy.
Quote:
For example, wouldn't it be awesome if it where possible to hold a certain key during startup that would put the machine into a mode that where by it exports the entire flash disk via UMASS. That way you could take an easy full image backup, and restore if something goes wrong.
Sure, but that's only realistic and fun if you have serial console access. On the Kindle 3, no soldering is required any more.

If you have serial console access, you could create your own initramfs for the Kindle(as I described in this thread). The init script in the initramfs could then load the g_ether or g_file_storage module after it has mounted the file system root in /dev/mmcblk0p1(I think, run mount to figure the devide out).

g_ether would give you ssh access, allowing you to copy files via secure copy. g_file_storage will make the kindle behave like a mass storage medium, as you suggested.

Then boot this image via U-Boot and here you go!
choff is offline   Reply With Quote