View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I think I have also contributed to the background of this much-more-acrimonious-than-I-would-have-imagined thread, and I’m hampered in participating in participating by traveling for work these past couple of days, with lots of client meetings and dinners, and between going to meetings and needing to get some sleep, I am not able to get online much right now.

My take on this back in the “Freebie Mystery” thread was simply that I would VERY much like to have a way to find out about self-pubbed (or very minor-publisher-pubbed) continuations to previously print-published series. I find that my tastes apparently don’t always mesh with what big publishers see as viable, and that series which I have enjoyed have been ended by the publishers when I would have enjoyed more books in the series. Now that authors can self-pub, they have the ability to continue these series on their own. I’m personally willing to put up with a few more typos in a book, or maybe a paragraph that doesn’t indent just so, or even a minor lack of “tightness” in the writing, to have the next installment of a series that I thought was defunct.

Like KentE, I respect Nightbird’s desire to not have self-pubbed continuations of previous series in her thread, but would like someplace for these to be discussed, perhaps with a bit of review of the book by the poster. Off the top of my head I can think of three series where I have enjoyed self-pubbed or very minor-pubbed continuation books, and I’m sure if I thought about it, I could come up with more. And again like KentE, I have found the best recommendations here on MR, from other MR members, so I assume that other people will be able to come up with some too.

Now my idea was really a special case – self-pubbed continuations of previously print-published series – but I personally would have no objection to having it opened up a bit. Although I do not really appreciate the brusqueness of the moderators in assuming bad intentions when I was genuinely asking for advice about how best to handle this, I am going to spend my next plane flight writing up the examples that I have in mind and on my layover I am going to just post them as recommendations in the Recommendation forum. If that violates the rules, although I don’t see why it would, then some moderator can delete the post. And, if others see value in this idea, they can also contribute to the thread, and if others don’t see value in it, then it will just die a natural death.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote