View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #735
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
@twobob
Quote:
What's your current thinking on favourite poisons?
I don't really know what to say. I only compiled kpdfview (apart from Hello World ). I'd say there's no reason not to go with the latest CS/MG release. You just need to pass it proper switches. Current kpdfview makefile is broken, so just adding switches won't work, but I posted fixed Makefile, so if you use that it'll work. Judging by issue tracking on github, KPDFV developers are busy working on other parts, so they still haven't included the fixes from this thread. I forked it some time ago too, but since I started fiddling with TCs I didn't have time to get sufficiently acquainted with github. I'll probably send pull request in the next few days, if it's not fixed by then. If it gets accepted, it will work out-of-the-box.

Since I never tried compiling anything other than kpdfv, these are just speculations of a noob, but I'd expect most other apps would work with the latest CS/MG, given the same switches used with kpdfv. I think that if you use the latest source of any opensource project you'd like to build, it will require more recent gcc than 4.2, if not now, then soon. So personally, I'd go with the latest, and regress if necessary.

Regarding Linaro, I think that it might be better than CS/MG. It seems Linaro is pretty popular with building android roms, for example. However, it won't work out of the box (on K3. I think it works out of the box on K5). To make it work on K3, you'd have to build it yourself. I'm reluctant to do it, at least for now. It might not be that hard, but... idk, it seems like too much work for me. So I think I'll stick with CS/MG for now.

If I were to build Linaro, however, I'd go for the latest stable release, and build that. Bleeding edge is, well... too bleeding edge for me . In my opinion, bleeding edge is for experts, and since I'm just a noob, it's clearly not for me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't apps built for K3 (nano for example) work on K5? If so, I'd use armv6 etc settings for all but performace critical apps (for example, nano doesn't need to be optimized for armv7. Some Video codec, on the other hand...). Some might say it's because I only have K3, but I'm not a fan of optimizations for optimization sake.

So, these are my opinions. I don't know how useful they may be to anyone, but I hope that answers your question .

Last edited by Kai771; 09-29-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote