View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #25
CoryDog
CoryDog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony EReader PRS-500
Reader Contrast Comparision

My second reader arrived Thursday though I purchased it on 7/30. Following instructions posted elsewhere I contacted Sony and had no problem receiving the 149 Summer Promotion Extension as they promptly sent me my $50 coupon code. Thanks Sony!!

Right off I noticed a large difference in contrast between my two readers. In the past on the this forum I've seen people rave about how ink and paper like the lettering was in their books. I always thought, "well its nice" but its not _that_ nice. Well... With my original reader long reading sessions tired out my ol' eyes. And I needed perfect lighting to read without strain for long sessions.

The new reader is night and day better. The blacks are inky black and the background appears to be a bit lighter as well, but the big difference is the true blackness of the "ink" in contrast to the dark grey on my orginal reader displays. On the new reader the lettering seems to almost float of the screen.

If you look are the attached shot of the Reader menu you can see this across the very top. Thats not glare. The new reader, the left one, the top bar is darker then the reader housing itself. On my old reader the Reader housing (plastic) is darker then the black (more dark grey) ink. It is really noticable by looking at the right side where the numbered tabs are. Notice how dark the curser/pointer is on tab 2 as well as the contrast forming the 3-Dness of the tabs. The Icons on the left are clearly darker as well.

The second attachment shows the noticable difference in greys and black in a cover shot of a book. (Dreaming In Code)

The first shot was taken with "natural light" from the bottom of the shot. The second shot was taken with a flash, which I tried to center between the two readers.

Now that I have two readers(!!) I'll give Sony a call on Monday and see if I can get the first one repaired. So far they've been very good to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	readermenu.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	4955   Click image for larger version

Name:	readercover.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	4956  

Last edited by CoryDog; 08-18-2007 at 02:55 PM.
CoryDog is offline   Reply With Quote