View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #70
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
One can mention the lack of features in a review of course.
It shouldn't be necessary though, usually you find this in the descriptions already.
But whether one mentions lack of features or not: Never should this be part or the rating.
A gadget always should be rated against its specification
: Can it fulfill what had been promised in the description?
A gadget should not be rated against wishful thinking.
Else any low-end gadgets never could have high ratings.

In my example above:
Kindle Fire HD doesn't have 3G or SD card slot, that's right.
But it never had been advertised, so it shouldn't be part of the rating.

As I've written before: A Fiat lacks horsepower. Should I rate it low because it doesn't match a Porsche speed-wise? Or should I rate it against its own specification? In my opinion: Definitely the latter.
I don't fully agree here, the review should take account how good device is relative to it's price and competitors, how well it does what it is ment to do and do you get atleast decent bang for the buck. Also on such devices as Kindle Fire HD, does other factors offset the issues.

If Fiat is a sport car and cost as much as Porche then the speed-wise comparison is correct. On other hand if it's cheap family-saloon against relatively expensive sport-car you can't realy compare them.

If you have two almost same devices with very different prices should they have the same rating? Or you could get much more features for same price, still same rating as long as specs don't lie?
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote