View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #130
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I discovered that with both of my faulty Nooks that there is a charging technique that STOPS the rapid discharge problem. I detail it in several "versions" in that other thread, as I discovered them, but here is a summary. This assumes that you have a faulty Touch:

1) Let you Nook discharge down to about 25 or 30%

2) Use the charger (or the PC/USB cable connection if you don't have a charger) to charge it to 100% . This usually takes about exactly 2 hours with the charger (wait till the green light comes on).

3) Use the Nook and/or leave it alone (let it go to sleep) for a long enough time for the charge to drop to about 90% or less. If you have a rapidly-draining Touch, this should be say 10 hours or so.

4) Charge the Nook again, "topping it off" back up to 100% using either the charger or the PC/USB connection. Once you have done this, the Touch will no longer drain rapidly, but just the expected 2-4% per day, whether in use or in sleep (with WiFi OFF).

In my experience, using the PC/USB charge for step 4 might work better. I have NEVER had my faulty TOUCH continue to rapidly drain after performing step 4 (until the next time I charged it as in step 1, of course).
RAH,

After using your technique for over 3 months, I'm happy to say that it works perfectly! Thank you very much. With zero use, my NST will drop about 10% overnight before the top-off. After the top-off, it's an energy miser good for over a month. I use the charger for the initial charge and the PC/USB for the top-off.

I've seen the post indicating that a full power-off after the initial charge also works, but all my books are sideloaded on an SD card, and I've had some "LOST.DIR" glitches in the past after a power-off. I'll stick to your 4 step method.

Thanks again,
Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote