View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #98
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I think this might compete successfully against the Kindle DX. It is the same size display with all the advantages of the Kindle in so far as view PDF plus many text books need color for graphs, charts, and images which would be a plus. The colors in this device could be perfect for this. The big question is how is the resolution, is it adequate for text books.
That's a good point, though how adequate the colors will be for images will depend on the images.

One big question will be whether PDF viewer software will be bundled with a device like this. A bigger one will be price. If it's not competitive with the DX, I see problems.

And even if they buy one, I can see folks using it to be a textbook viewer being underwhelmed. Amazon had pilot projects at several universities tracking use and acceptance of the DX as a textbook viewer, and I recall early reports had students underwhelmed by the experience.

No surprise. One thing students like to do with textbooks is underline critical passages and make marginal notes. Another is sell the used textbooks to other students taking the same course when they no longer need them. I'm not sure how well, if at all, the first is supported on the DX, and second is largely not possible unless you strip DRM. (And even if you do, will someone pay you for it?)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote