View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #36760
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
My Dad used to tell us one about how to get five "ands" in a row in a single sentence, and still make sense. It's about a painter who is commissioned to make a pub sign. The name of the pub is "The Pig and Whistle". The painter asks the pub landlord if there should be any hyphens in the name, to which he replies,

"Yes, put a hyphen between Pig and and, and and and Whistle."

There was a 'Pig and Whistle' pub in Kyoto that was a popular watering hole for many of the ex-pat teachers and and and and and all of them were native English speakers. My wife is Japanese and doesn't speak all that much English, and certainly with little appreciation of the finer (and not so fine) points of grammar. On the other hand, the word 'ma' spoken in all five tones of the Thai language and thus having five different meanings, can be put together to mean 'the new silk is burning' with "ma ma ma ma ma!" Unless, of course, it's me trying to say it, in which case it translates to 'burning silk new new new.' I'm too deaf to deal with the tones... Nu?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote