View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'll reveal my own prejudice: the problem with a thriller which you've already read is that it doesn't thrill, the second time around. So I'm hoping that Jackal, Eiger, Cold, Falcon and Firm are also-rans, because I won't feel like reading them again, heart-stopping though they might be.

Now, if someone hasn't read Alan Furst, s/he's in for a delightsome experience and possibly falling in love. Why not try someone new and current? The works I cited above also suffer from being dated. They're all pretty fusty at this point, not that they weren't great reads at the time.

While I'm prejudiced in favor of Furst, I promise to read any of the other nominated works that I didn't list.

I really don't want to read something I have already read, so would like one of the newer ones like The Scavenger's Daugher or Vanishing Act to win. And if le Carré, Forsyth or Grisham win, then I ain't going to bother, as I really don't like these authors.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote