View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
Bear100
Bear100 doesn't litterBear100 doesn't litter

Device: none
Thanks for the quick response! It shows the forum is active and engaged.

My bad, I will check other forum posts on the price, did not want to get too off topic. Sounds like the industry needs a new business model to get content from writers to the audience as efficiently as possible.

The current publisher model is in the way, limiting access by writers to the audience, adding costs and in-efficiency to the process. Having created a successful e-Business model I know this only too well. It will take a new player to change the game. The game is content not publishing.

It seems to me this is an opportunity for a rennisance not unlike the original Gutenburg printing press which allowed ideas to be mass reproduced. We now have the opportunity to have ideas mass shared. Not only that but very targeted. I and everyone else has a typical set of interests. The difficulty for me is in finding those with a talent to write about my interests. I am willling to recognize (pay them for their efforts) if I get the targeted materials that I want.

The current system of publishing seems to cater to the 'lowest demonitor' of the best seller, which pushes circulation of one book to the top. Once there the wirter can demand a premium. We have seen this in music and other areas. But the real key to prosperity is targeting to your audience, and the current mass media approach can never have this targeting - and thus bear the cost of the approach. If we could apply the lack of cost to a more targeted approach we can turn the model on it's head.

Having seen this in too many businesses, it will happen in 'books'. Sorry for the long dialogue, the three glass of a good Cabernet got me going. I will still get my reader and e-Books it is simply the way to go.
Bear100 is offline   Reply With Quote