View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
KingsGambit
E4
KingsGambit began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thank you all very much again for the great tips above. After managing to read one book just fine, another I purchased had horrid, huge margins that meant text was in a two-three word column down the centre of the screen. That and my other niggles prompted my post.

@fjtorres, I've downloaded both Georgia and Droid to experiment with. They look lovely on the computer screen. And I am a big SF/Fantasy fan so that web site is a great recommendation! Thank you. The dictionaries thread to be honest, is quite confusing. I'm technically very capable but no posts there lead to anything...possibly it's a little outdated?

@mickey330 - As fjtorres suggested, I was indeed opening the books in what must be ADE as I didn't have any FBReader options. That extensions.cfg worked perfectly though, my page margins and font sizes are just right now That thread you linked had lots of great fonts on it...in fact I zipped up all the recommendations on there to make it easier for future me's to find them. Thanks so much.
PS. Your reply to my first thread and review of the PB360 were the clinchers for me to buy one

@guns4hire - Thanks for the recommendation, Droid is the first font in my list to try out as soon as I've posted this

@acanthicus - That's a useful tip about numbering, and should've been obvious from my time spent numbering MP3s in album lists! So far fbreader looks good to my eye, but I've only skimmed a few pages, next page, next page, etc just to see how it looks. Will keep an eye out.

@jackie_w - Thank you so much for those links! I believe .dic is exactly the right format for pocketbook but impossible to find, despite a lot of google and browsing the thread linked to above. Will give it a try soon, though I've no idea how to pick out a word without a touch screen (do you type it out perhaps?). (Why pocketbook don't simply include one on the device is strange, and then to not make one readily available, even as a chargeable extra, is strange again). And thanks for the great advice on calibre, I may try that but with only two series' with > 10 books, it may be quicker to try what acanthicus suggested for now, though setting Calibre up properly is a better long term solution I'm sure.
Oh and the file name/book title thing took me *ages* to figure out. I should have posted this a week ago

For all of you, a big
KingsGambit is offline   Reply With Quote