View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
KingsGambit
E4
KingsGambit began at the beginning.

Device: None
Questions re: FBreader, PB360, Calibre

Hi all, I joined mobileread a handful of weeks ago and received some great advice here which, in addition to the already useful posts with reviews and advice on the site, led me to purchase my first eReader. I got a Pocketbook360 (review pending!) and have since read 1.5 novels on it (the 0.5 I was already reading in paperback and finished electronically ). I now have my eye on the PB302, but first things first! I have some questions on things that are little bugbears and I can't work out how to resolve.

- I was able to use Calibre to convert my existing eBooks (LIT, TXT, RTF, HTM) to ePub and after a few hours over a couple of evenings tagged everything and was able to transfer everything over in a nice, intuitive structure. However, I have two series' which each have over 10 books in them. Now in the list it goes 1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3, etc. Is there a way to fix this so 10+ comes after 9?

- My reader reset itself and froze up several times but after a lot of google and mobileread browsing, I was able to downgrade my firmware to 14.2 and so far it seems much better. Haven't had to use the (hard to find) reset button since. Problem solved.

- FBReader: I downloaded and installed v0.92 from here (I believe) but I've noticed nothing different. I also can't work out how to configure it. I'd really like to be able to tweak margins, change the number of steps for font size increase, remap buttons, set a default, etc. My current mappings are mostly ignored "in-book". How can I configure FBReader with all the G-sensor page turns, margins and font sizes?

- What fonts do other owners recommend for their own reading? Any sites where to get them from? Would love to have a play and find what fonts work best and your recommendations are the best place to start.

- Dictionary...I assumed that the PB360 came with one...and it did after a fashion...an English-Russian one which isn't particularly useful to me :-( I had hoped it would include an actual dictionary to look up word meanings while reading. I've spent literally hours trawling the web and this site for one, but can't find anything. Does anyone know where I can download one from, or have one they could Email?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I must say in general I'm quite happy with the reader. The page turn buttons are a touch stiff for my liking, but that aside the screen is beautiful, so clear and crisp. It fits easily into a pocket and the on-board memory swallowed my puny 130 book collection with room to spare, leaving the 8GB card I bought for it feeling dejected and redundant.

I'm not impressed with the eBook market though. Some sellers sell eBooks for more than their paperback counterparts (with delivery and tax) which is insane. And considering that a sold eBook is 99.9% profit (0.1% for bandwidth), they sell for the same as their hardback counterparts in many cases, which IMO is robbery. Combined with DRM (a whole other debate) and further, regional restrictions (easily bypassed with an anonymous proxy) it reminds me very much of the music industry a few years ago, before iTunes came about and offered a reasonably priced, effective, global system to buy songs legally.

An eBook for more than $8 (maybe $10 for a new release) is really pushing my willingness to support the industry and stay legal. I hope that as they become more mainstream, the industry gets itself in gear and matures a little. If they don't realise that there are no international borders on the Net and that charging high prices for something with practically zero-cost then ePublishing will suffer the same as the music biz did. (I do realise that, unlike music, books have different publishers in different countries, however eBooks should not be subject to the same regional rights as hardcopies, but a product in and of themselves).

Last edited by KingsGambit; 07-24-2010 at 07:45 PM.
KingsGambit is offline   Reply With Quote