View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #65
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickeFix View Post
First I want to thank Yifanlu for an impressing work both with the jailbreak and this promising enterprise. I have a Kindle DXG with firmware 2.5.8 and serial B009 and a Kindle 3, 3G+Wifi with firmware 3.1 and serial B00A. I am so annoyed that the DXG hasnīt got firmware 3.1 because it is much better.

I would like to try your hack but have two problems.

1. As azuwis pointed out "packages.lst in kindle-updater-beta2-src.zip has no EOF or new line, this lead to the missing update_dxg-2.5.8-prepare_kindle.bin". Could someone recompile since I donīt know how to compile the source code on a Windows 7 machine.

2. I am afraid of bricking my Kindle DXG. How is it possible to restore old firmware if the new one doesnīt work. The instructions for restoring in the ReadMe file is given only for Linux. How would you do it in Windows 7.

Yifanlu, please continue with your excellent work. It would be fantastic to get a DXG with firmware 3.1. I donīt understand why Amazon doesnīt release it.
The reason I didn't compile it yet is because one tester found a bug that prevents the kindle from working. Good news is, he also tested the backup recovery process and it works, so it would be really hard to brick your kindle once you flash my custom kernel correctly. Even if you brick your kindle, you can now recover with the recovery package.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote