View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #43
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Some examples

Reviews for "Finding Nemo".
I wouldn't rent it, I owe it for ca. 8 years already.
And I agree: Google Play should offer the option to purchase as well.
Still, for your astonishment, in chronological order:
- "€ 3 for this old movie"...
- "Film is great but price sucks"....
- "I'd like to purchase"...
- "Had been my favorite movie"...
- "Buying on DVD almost is cheaper than renting from here"....
- "Film ok. But 3 Euro. They suck"...
- "Very good"...
- "Great movie. But € 3 for renting"...
- "Way too expensive. Renting from your videostore is cheaper"...
- "Pixar at it's best"...
- "I watch my DVD. Those idiots. I won't rent from here"...
- "That's really expensive for renting"...
- "I can have the DVD for a 9 year old movie for € 5, used for € 1. In the videostore € 1 tops as well. Why should I rent for € 4?"...
- "It's 9 years old. You should be able to watch it very cheap or even for free."...
- "The movie is too old"...
- "The movie is too expensive. € 1 tops"...
- "Are you kidding me? Google, you should talk to Sony. They have similar prices and wonder why it's not working out."...
- "Great movie. But too expensive for renting"...
- "Google sucks. The movie has been on FreeTV a hundred times already"...
- "Don't rent. It's running on FreeTV as well."...

Personally, I really don't get it.
Next time, should I ask for the chef of my favorite restaurant. Then tell him: "Your meal is great. But I can eat at the pub on the other side of the street for 30% of your price. You suck"?!

And we certainly should recommend a new business model to Google (obviously, looking at Google's market share and growth rate, they need our critical input): Stuff should be for free!

Why do those people bother?
Are they criticising prices for cars or houses as well?
I probably should write a letter to the mayor of Munich (one of the most expensive cities in Germany): Why are houses that expensive here? And btw: All houses built before 1950 should be for free anyway. And why should I buy in Munich? 50km outside of Munich it's way cheaper.

Why don't people just buy or don't?
Maybe Google respectively the studios will lower their prices, if figures are below their plan.
But why bother to question the pricing?
Just buy/rent or move on. Why is that such a problem?
It seems to be a mass phenomenon. For maybe 10 years now, I find it more and more difficult, to buy quality products. 10 years ago, I wanted to buy a home entertainment center. I told the sales guy, what I was willing to spend. His response: "Great, for once to meet someone with realistic expectations. But quite frankly, we don't sell this kind of quality anymore. People don't buy on that level anymore".
I found the same for notebooks. My last really great notebook had been a Toshiba Satellite ca. 2003 for € 4.000. A few years later, when trying to replace it, I couldn't find similar quality anymore. But prices had dropped to € 1.000 instead.

I remember, when as a kid seeing a Porsche, I told myself: "I want to be successful and earn that too".
Now, the definition seems to be: "I've earned it anyway. Where's my Porsche?".

And what really makes me doubt my fellow neighbors:
"The movie is old, you should be able to watch it for free!".
Do those people even understand, how our economy is functioning?
You don't even watch public TV for free, you pay a fee.
And what does this have to do with Google? Why should Google provide bandwith and platform?
It's not Google, that sucks...

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-18-2012 at 07:00 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote