View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #69
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I find the threshold for advertising to be very interesting. My threshold on the web is moderate - but when sound/video/'flash' distract me from the main content, the website or the ads vanish; I either stop going to that site or I turn on adblocker for that site.

For TV, I'm now so used to watching shows without commercials via DVD sets, some streaming, pvr, etc, that I can't be bothered to watch them 'live' on TV, even when the opportunity arises. 1/3 of the show is just commercials. Sorry - I'm paying to watch the show, not to have you profit from me on top of that. Blatant product placements - those have actually driven me away from some shows as they become so distracting that any suspension of disbelief is impossible. I've got friends who'll sit there channel flipping (usually missing the start of the next part of the show), or mute, but most just sit there.

Movies in the theater, well, it's hard to escape the commercials at the beginning unless you risk arriving late. I'm one of the rare folks who don't think movies in the theater are necessarily a social event and I'm happy to go on my own, usually with my ebookwise in hand, and tune out the commercials on screen. I can still remember watching Return of the Jedi when a "Hero" cologne ad came on - to much ridicule and booing from the audience. At that early age is when I started to loathe most advertisements when I am forced to pay big $ (IMHO) for something. I've been to movies where my party talks through them, and others where the person I'm with pays attention to every second.

Radio, though, is different for me. Bar the really loud ads, I don't channel flip etc. I'm one of the few people I know who doesn't change the station the second an ad comes on. So in this instance, my threshold is higher than others.

The science behind all this is fascinating, and obviously the advertisers are making good money.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote