View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I got curious and took a look at their digital download FAQ, and it sounds like they're really paranoid about piracy.

Quote:
There are 3 levels of security our system provides: 1) When downloaded, IPs are logged and links are only valid for 72 hours. 2) Files are only accessible using a customer's unique DAK (digital access key). 3) Files are encrypted with sensitive data about the customer's order #, IP and order date and tracking parameters are included so Horror Mall gets notification when and from where each time a file is opened. Furthermore, Horror Mall can terminate a customer's log in to their files and even remotely shred a file if found illegally sharing or distributing.
The FAQ also includes the amusing advice that customers should make a printed back up of digital editions.

It's great that they're trying to offer e-books, and I appreciate their desire to protect their material. But their policies seem a bit too extreme for me, which is sad because I've had a big problem finding tolerable horror novels these days.
deety is offline   Reply With Quote