View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I agree that the UI could be prettier and toddos does a good job of explaining the basic limits of expanding the UI's design. But the basic functionality folks are looking for are front and center with very little difficulty for the average user to utilize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
But I see no evidence that someone is looking at the big picture of moving Calibre from the arena of tech tool to mainstream eBook management software.
Calibre made the move from tech tool to mainstream eBook management software between versions 0.4 and 0.5. Since then it has consistently improved in features and usability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
Am I wrong ?
You're not wrong, it could be prettier. But your not entirely correct either. Calibre has over 13 million users and adds more than 500K new users every month. Functionality and flexibility are keys to calibre. The flexibility allows the more advanced user to get excited about fine tuning everything, yet the functionality is there from the beginning allowing basic users to Add books, Convert books and Send books to their device intuitively.

In my opinion calibre in its present form is not a "tech tool." Calibre is a full fledged eBook Management program that equally caters to hard core techies and folks new to eBooks.

Additionally as you can see in this thread there are multiple ways of customizing the look and feel of calibre to each users liking.

Aesthetically speaking the area that could be open to the most improvement is the look and feel of the content server. maybe some enterprising web developer might contribute some time to this area of calibre development. Multiple folks have started developing a new look for the content server, but no one has finished any of their concepts.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-07-2013 at 10:49 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote