View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #60
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavorite View Post
You guys are in the black diamond area and I'm off in the weeds somewhere. Nevertheless, I do have my crippled DX with a functional serial interface, and offer it for any testing (short of destructive) that may be useful in finding answers.
I want to get some more information from your machine.

So lets use that functional serial interface port and whatever terminal emulator you have.

Get your communications all setup with the serial port, Kindle, terminal emulator, etc.

Enable the emulator's capture to file feature.
In (Linux) minicom it is in the configuration panels as "Capture File"
In (Windows) ??? I am not sure, it will depend on the application but should be somewhere - perhaps in configuration - session - logging.
Sorry, knowing what you may be using under Windows would not help me, I would have to look up that application's docs - I don't know windows.

This may give what is required at this point:
  • You have communications established over the serial port ;
  • You have set up recording the communications to a (capture, log, transcript, whatever) file ;
  • Use the: "Hold power switch forever" method of getting the Kindle to do a complete restart ;
  • Save the recorded result file ;
  • Start another recording file ;
  • Repeat the complete restart.
Twice? In two capture files?
Yes.
Because I think the DX is one of the machines which alternates between the two boot image files on the machine with each hard re-start.

The image files look as if they have two (2) complete sets of U-Boot environment and kernel images.
All stored in a device physically different than the device that has your broken system image.

zip or tar/gzip the two files, attach to post.
I expect they will tell me what to either do next or what to ask for next.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote