View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: My phone
There should be a point to the dialogue. People talk all the time, you don't recount everything they say in your novel, only the stuff which moves the story on, and then it is stripped back to show only the essential stuff.

So dialogue about what's for supper, whether to put out the good knives, if the dishwasher had been unloaded, etc should be skipped, and you go straight to the bit where the wife accuses the husband of cheating.

I'm not sure I'd say that every dialogue should be a battle, but something should change during it. There should be a shift in the balance of power, no matter how subtle.
EileenG is offline   Reply With Quote