View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
I can (somewhat) program, make websites, build computers, install and reinstall OSes... but I haven't yet figured out how to either edit text files in Vi/VIM... or for that matter how to even simply quite the program.

Is it wise to suggest to a person of moderate computing know-how to use Vi or Vim?

- Ahi
It depends on their age and background. When I first started working in the Computing field, everybody that used UNIX knew VI well, tech savvy or not.

Now there are so many alternatives that is not a safe assumption.

VI is by no means a developer/coder's tool. It is just a very quick and powerful text editor, power in the form of efficiency, where using a mouse just slows you down.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote