View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #16
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I read a lot of scientific PDFs, and I stand by the view that the iPad with the "Goodreader" app is better than any eInk reader for the job. The faster CPU and instant refresh of the screen make it far better suited to the task. Just a personal opinion, of course, but one based on a great deal of practical experience.
That's a very important point to mention. Indeed, every decent tablet on the market will win concerning performance and functionality. But if the backlit display is a pain in the neck for you (like it is for me), you will still find yourself looking for alternatives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidyboyd View Post
Hi thanks for the reply. Its good to get an idea off an owner so many thanks for getting in touch
I highly suggest asking your questions directly in the Onyx Boox subforum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=220

Quote:
I would certainly be using the annotation feature and would likely make heavy use of it
This is definitely an important point. While it's possible playing around with the annotation feature on the M92, it's much more comfortable having different kinds of colors and different kinds of pens like in more professional pdf readers which are available for Android and iOS.
Many users in the Onyx Boox subforum report a decent annotation performance, but to be honest, you shouldn't expect too much. It's not even possible using different shades of grey and there are only three different levels of pen thickness.

Quote:
I don't mind the Ivona software getting charts and diagrams wrong I can read them with no issues, it was mainly for reading large bodies of text on the move which is where I would find it really useful
Since the IVONA text2speech is not included with the M92 from ereader-store.de, I can't comment on this.

Quote:
Portability is important but I would carry a rucksack whenever I left the house so as long as its holdable whilst reading and not crazily heavy I cant really foresee any issues on that front
That's pretty much my situation, as well. Hence as far as this is concerned the M92 would fit you well.

Quote:
How are you finding the build quality physically of your onyx unit?
That's a fairly subjective matter, but to me, it feels really good. The display unit itself is pretty sensitive though. Many users have complained about broken screens. I don't really treat my M92 with care all of the time, but still the display didn't break during the last year.

Quote:
What do you mean by the software isn't fully developed?
Once in a while, we get software updates from Onyx, provided by Booxtor via the Onyx Boox subforum. Booxtor is the shop owner of ereader-store.de and he is in direct contact with the Onyx developers. He forwards user requests and bug reports to the devs. Still, the developers are very busy. Furthermore the developers are working on an Android port in parallel so they can't use their whole time on the official firmware.

Quote:
Do crashes happen very often like I've seen on a couple of reviews?
Crashes are actually extremely seldom for me. I don't know where you read about this.

Quote:
Why did you buy it from ereader-store.de instead of the official page where its cheaper?
onyx-boox.com is NOT the official page! It's the homepage of Arta Tech and Onyx Europe, an official distributor of Onyx readers just like ereader-store.de. I bought from ereader-store.de, because with user Booxtor in this forum I have an active contact person at hand. And by the way: On ereader-store.de, a cover is included in the price.

(The official page of Onyx International is http://www.onyx-international.com.cn/ or in english: http://www.onyx-international.com.cn/en/index.html ...)

By the way, the firmware provided by Arta Tech (i.e. onyx-boox.com) is not compatible with Booxtor's firmware posted in the Onyx Boox subforum of mobileread.com.

Quote:
I did contact ereader-store.de but I never got a reply back to my questions. Any idea how long their warranty period is?
I have no idea, why they didn't respond. That's really strange. Try contacting Booxtor on this forum via PM. Just like any European shop, ereader-store.de is legally obligated to give a two year warranty for every product it sells.

Last edited by tuxor; 04-02-2013 at 04:09 PM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote