View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #12
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
PrimoPDF is free at http://www.primopdf.com/, NitroPro is the free trial before purchase application - the free one is that to which I was referring, NitroPro has PDF creation, editing and conversion tools.

PrimoPDF installs as a printer, and page size and % scaling of the document are set in the standard print dialogue that comes up as it does for all printers when a document is sent to them. The scaled document will show in the print dialogue preview window overlaid on the selected paper size.

From memory PDF Creator worked much the same in that respect but I have not been using it recently - that because they changed it significantly in a beta release and that seemed to have some things missing. It looks as if that has gone to stable release now but I have not got around to trying it.

I'll have a look at the latest PDF Creator version when I get a chance and report back here.

John
@Dennis123

I had a look at PDFCreator with regards to your query. It seems as if the latest version is still effectively the Beta that I described before so I have not looked at that again, instead am referring to the stable version 1.7.3. My description is a bit convoluted so in reading it it is important to remember that the PDFCreator "printer" (and the PrimoPDF one too) is a virtual printer, printing a source document (e.g. MSWord, .jpg, or whatever) to it results in a .pdf file.

Its page size and scaling are set up in the printer dialogue, just like PrimoPDF, when one sends the source document to be converted directly to "print" from another application with PDFCreator as the "printer" (which saves it as PDF file).

But if one alternatively uses the PDF Creator Print Monitor it saves the converted PDF as the size of the source document and one changes the paper size and scaling when printing the resultant PDF from ones PDF reader software to ones paper printer, or sets it up before conversion by changing the document size in the application the source document is "printed' to PDF format from.

So then, after converting using the PDF Print Monitor, in the case of printing the converted PDF to a real printer one then sets in the Windows print dialogue the desired paper and scaling for the actual printed paper copy. Or, if one then prints that converted PDF to the PDFCreator "printer" from ones PDF reader application the Windows print dialogue settings will result in a saved PDF having whatever page size and scaling one set in that dialogue.

As others have chimed in with there are other applications that do similar. For myself my comment to the original poster that:

"those are just the two I have used for many years. Sometimes one will work better than the other."

applies - I don't have time to go hunting through all the alternatives . Most of my source documents are produced in MSWord so since that started "printing" to PDFs (2007?) my use of other conversion tools has declined to being "casual".

Last edited by AnotherCat; 11-24-2014 at 07:46 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote