View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #241
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Thanks @all for the helpful input! I actually got the "unlocking" of the DRAM done, so I can read and write to it from USB downloader mode - it's essentially a copy of yifanlu's / Amazon's commands.

Next problem is: when I try to access it from u-boot, the data isn't there anymore.

I'm heavily customizing the u-boot image now to understand what might be happening. I even disabled DRAM initialization in the u-boot code, so that u-boot crashes (hangs) unless the memory had previously been initialized using USB mode. This works "correctly" - in the sense that if (and only if) I initialize the DRAM prior to launching u-boot, the device will actually boot. So since u-boot should not be messing with the DRAM (at least not too much), I don't understand why my data is always getting lost. I tried to put it at the beginning of the DRAM, at the "end", etc - no luck. I'm now even trying to scan the entire address space, because it could just have been "logically" relocated somewhere - no luck either.

Hell, all I want to do is
  1. Put data at 0x7whatever before launching u-boot
  2. In uboot, "bootm 0x7whatever"

If it was working, this would be the easiest solution to simply upload a kernel and run it, so that we could focus on the actual kernel/initrd (= "almost userland") functionality instead of all the bootstrapping.

@eureka: I'll look at the newest links you provided, thanks!
@knc1/geekmaster: I looked into the k3launcher thread - actually I read all of it - but I still don't know whether it can also handle K4/K5. In the long run, it would definitely be best to have a single tool which can handle the needs of all devices. For the time being, I'll stick with the imx_usb because I now understand what it is doing and how to use it (this does not go for the Kindle beast though ).

Again, any help is more than welcome.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote