View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
If you increase screen size you loose part of portability, comfort etc. The solution is different types of screen (roll out, foldable....) but that technology is still years from being available for mass market.
The problem is that a paper book is a single format customized for a single content. I have books as small as 3" x 3" and as large as 12" x 16". The printed book can have any size and shape, but it's limited to a single content. Essentially, you're buying a new "display device" each time you buy content in paper form.

So, what size of ereader screen would accommodate my 12" x 16" book which, by the way, is full color and has pages that fold out to 15" x 21" (and weighs 13.5 pounds) as well as my 3" x 3" book?

It's just silly to think that any one ereader would fit all content any more than any one size of print book would do. When I keep reading "the Kindle does not do textbooks or 'whatever' well" I just slap my forehead and go, "Well, duh! Here's another newsflash: Your Vespa scooter won't tow a boat!"
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote