View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 03:21 AM   #32
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Started cleaning up and converting my recent Fictionwise acquisitions from their presumably auto-generated ePub versions. Some things I have noticed in the process:

<hr> styling using the CSS width property (or any other CSS property, for that matter) is not understood by Kindlegen. However, the deprecated width attribute works just fine. So much for separation of content and presentation, not to mention the strictness of XHTML 1.1. Maybe I'll just draw a spacer using the Geometric Shapes or even the Dingbats in the officially font-supported Unicode ranges.

Kindlegen also seems to do something really weird with page-break-after if there's no navMap entries in the NCX, and may have some sort of quirk where it drops the last navPoint off the list under certain circumstances. But this requires more investigation than I'm really up to at the moment.

Also, the CSS font-size keywords "larger" and "smaller" do seem to work fairly consistently, for what it's worth.

And it looks like however they figure out their default text-indent, it's set at a fixed width, probably in pixels. I had occasion to use the monospace font in conjunction with the default serif, and no matter which size I tried the resulting text at and how I rotated the orientation on the K2, it always started at approximately the same width from the edge of the screen, rather than being keyed to the current user-selected font size.

However, Kindlegen ignores the opf:file-as attribute in the metadata, so one will have to use mobi2mobi or similar to fix the author name sort.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote