View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Ebook Layout - Frontispiece sequence

I know the subject of layout for ebook vs paper book has been discussed ad nauseum. But one component I can't find mentioned, is the frontispiece.

It seems in most traditional printed books, the frontispiece appears *before* the titlepage. Well, that doesn't seem like a happy place in an ebook.

If the image is a portrait of the author, I try to incorporate it into the titlepage or the "about" page. If it is an illustration, I've started to follow the lead of AlexBell and incorporate it into the text flow where it references. But occasionally the illustration is not referring to any particular text, and then I tend to place it before the half-title page.

so my layout ends up like this:

Cover
Titlepage
"About this ebook" (copyright status, synopsis, editorial/transcription notes)
Dedication
Introductory matter
LOI (list of illustrations)
TOC (table of contents)
FRONTISPIECE
Half-title
(Preface, if any)
~~~Contents
(Appendices, if any)
(End-notes section if I didn't place those at end-of-chapter)

Bearing in mind that I am a hobbyist dealing with public domain books with all the freedom that entails, do share your comments and criticisms. And how do YOU lay out your books (if you have the freedom to arrange that layout, of course).

Thanks
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote