View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #60
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleander View Post
NO STANDBY? What does this mean in daily usage? Do you leave the units on permanently? Do you actually start them an live with a boot-time of 35 or even 45 seconds?
I've got Kindle, so I can't even imagining to accept something like that.
In the beginning, when only owning iRex iLiad, I didn't consider it a problem. All the manufacturers state, eInk only consumes energy, when building the page. Once the page is build up, there wouldn't be any energy consumption.
So I simply left it on.
And back then it was working. I was so enthusiastic about my reader, that I've used it often enough, to never really drain the battery, even without standby.
But now, still happy but not THAT enthusiastic anymore and having 8 readers to choose, I very often find one or two of my readers drained.

Meaning:
a.) They (all of them) DEFINITELY drain energy in standby.
b.) WITHOUT standby, they would drain the battery even faster.
So I don't leave them on anymore. Either I use standby, or (if not available) I switch them off.
That's the reason why at home, for a quick read, I prefer Sony 505 over iRex iLiad.
I use iRex iLiad for longer reading sessions only.

When owning only 1 device, 45 seconds for startup aren't that big a problem. But if you compare readers, it's a bit annoying.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote