Thread: Literary Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I have been hovering above the MR-bookclub for a few years, which has deepened my insight on some of the books I had already read (Forster etc), and I discovered some new ones (The master and Margarita, Bulgakov); I like researching, discovering and reflecting on a book.
A good book, in my mind, must be resistant: for it to be trampled upon, to be shaken about, to be read for-and backwards and, in the end, to stay upright as a book.

A few years back I saw the book-club 'tip-toeing" around Lolita by Nabokov and, intrigued, I started to read it. At first I had the same reaction as Belle Zora has; and I still am at two minds about this book.

Now Lolita has been chosen for this month and I decided to read it again. This introduced me to some of the literary beauty of it. Vladimir Nabokov does have a way with words.

But I don't like anyone in this book and that is part of the difficulty:it begins with Humbert, for obvious reasons. He preys on little girls to satisfy his own sexual cravings. That is difficult for me to accept: being someone's daughter and having a daughter myself. It gives an insight in a mind that I hadn't encountered before and I ask myself if this contributes to my life.
And I wonder which part of his story is true.

Last edited by desertblues; 02-10-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: excuses: grammar
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote