View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Quality of eBooks a real problem?

After reading jswinden's thread I realised that I have to say something about the present quality of many eBooks.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46221
A lot of MR members have toiled to format and upload works from Project Gutenberg and I am deeply thankful to them. However, it seems that the PG texts often have OCR errors that have not been caught by spell checkers for the reason that they are real words though the wrong ones. Like reading "done" for "clone".
Now, at least these books are free and one cannot complain too much about them.
But when publishers are selling digital versions of their books for real money, often at similar prices to the paper versions, and letting the OCR processed texts go through without a proper check by a real proof reader like for books printed on paper, I begin to wonder.
Since buying my Cybook 4 months ago, I have read about 20 novels on it and can say that I catch at least an average of 1 error in either misread words or wrong punctuation on each equivalent paper page, which comes to several hundred per book. Is this acceptable?
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote