View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #64
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
Helen raises the right question. Opinions by nature are subjective. Even if you say you take into account *objective opinions,* deciding which ones to choose and which to discard is a subjective process.

Humans just don't do objectivity except in very limited and controlled circumstances. Even then it's wise to remain skeptical.

Reading from screens - particularly given the multiplication of different types of screens in recent years - is too new of an activity for it to be well understood yet.

We're all too used to the old ways to know how the young will adapt. They're seldom limited in the same ways we oldsters are.
I'll take as an example something that I used to hear when I first got interested in ereaders: ereaders don't smell like paper books (objective opinion) and paper books are better that ereaders because of their smell (subjective opinion).

When deciding to get an ereader I didn't discard the objective opinion, just the subjective one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
I did not say otherwise, and agree with you, unless you include e-ink.

Because it is something I could do and find mildly interesting to play with.

And because there is the potential that under some conditions, paper under glass may be indistinguishable from tablet by a reader, and that might be fun to point out to some people. They'd probably just dance right on around, though, blinders still firmly on.
The way I see it, attempting to get the settings on a tablet to get as close as possible to reading on paper removes the advantages that tablets have over paper so comparing them like that isn't fair.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote