View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
A GameBoy emulator (GPLv2: gnuboy, ported, tested on K3)

Hi,

this is something I did for the fun of it: port an ancient version of gnuboy, a GameBoy emulator, to the Kindle. In fact, I only had my eyes on the K3 here, maybe it runs (it should) on the KDX. With some adoption of the key codes, it might work on the K4NT, too. But not as-is.

Caveats:
- e-ink is not an LCD. Although I took geekmaster's idea and implemented a simple 2x2 ordered dither in only black and white to have some amount of predictability regarding update speed. Tetris works almost fine ;-)
- direction keys are direction keys, "Z" (on Kindle) is "A", "X" is "B", "A" is "Select", "S" is "Start", "Home" quits
- no sound (yet)
- no input grabbing: you might want to shut down the framework in order to use it properly.

Sources are attached. Questions welcome. Don't expect me to continue to work on this, this is more of a stupid pet project of mine than anything else. But feel free to hack on it!

The binary "fbgnuboy" (standalone) is in the attached archive as is the source code.

Have fun!

Update 2012 Oct 05: Gave it a try and adopted for 8bpp framebuffers. So give it a try if you own one of the relevant devices.
Attached Files
File Type: gz gnuboy-1.0.3.kindle.tar.gz (174.8 KB, 2048 views)

Last edited by hawhill; 10-05-2012 at 10:34 AM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote