View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 02:46 AM   #17
azit
azit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with others

Device: kindle
Hi Adrian,

I understood that loading images was asynchronous, so as a hack I slept for a second after loading them and it still made no difference. Surely it can't take that long! I started with static images of the right size and with a preset background, so actually 24 images (I'm very new to this!), but when it was working, changed them back to images with transparent background and also added scaling so that the board can be resized. Looking at some other active content, I can't believe this should be very hard to do even with images.

As for fonts, yes, I noticed that you were trying to use a unicode chess font and that it didn't exist on the K3, so I thought of adding a font as in the font hacks on this site, but that means it would only be of use to people who jailbroke their kindle. If you can load fonts as resources, than that could be nice. According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_symbols_in_Unicode there seem to be some fonts with decent looking chess pieces. Maybe one solution is to ask amazon to add a font? Are they receptive to requests like this?

I will send you a git pull request as soon as I've cleaned up my changes (and figured out how to send a git pull request!). Alternatively, I could just send you a patch.

I couldn't actually see any licence text in your code. Is it supposed to be GPL/apache/public domain, or what? Do you work for Amazon as you put it in a com.amazon.kindle package which sort of implies that it's amazon code.

Cheers,

Paul

ps. how did you get on the KDK beta? I asked a month ago but it doesn't look like it's likely to happen.

pps. it turns out not to be too bad at all developing directly on the kindle.
$ ant build-signed-active-content && scp build/KindleChess.azw2 k:/mnt/us/documents
Takes 2 seconds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ch4.gif
Views:	646
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	63816  

Last edited by azit; 12-31-2010 at 02:55 AM.
azit is offline   Reply With Quote