View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #15
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
"Some writers worry that the reader won’t quite “get” the dialogue, and decide to spell things out, like this:

“I hate you!” George slammed the door and ran upstairs. He was furious with his mum – he felt that she was being unfair."

I have zero issue with this any longer. Pretty much every million-selling author I read bangs it home when someone is angry or sad, by telling the reader explicitly that they are angry or sad, to the extent that I figure they must be right. Because, millions.

Then I read the sort of optimistic advice that was linked above and I say to myself "That's easy for you to say anonymous nobody I've never heard of." I ball up my fists and shake them at the sky. Because I'm angry. Possibly sad. Or hungry.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote