View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
rplantz
rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer A500
What does embedding fonts in pdf do?

I do not have a good understanding of what embedding fonts in my pdf document does.

I have written a 550+ page textbook using LaTeX. It is a computer science book so has lots of code listings, vector drawings, and math. I explored converting it to epub, but that just will not work. So I have produced a pdf version for ereaders -- 0.1" margins all around, syntax coloring for code listings, and hyperlinked cross references. I also have a version suitable for printing -- wider margins, black and white, binding gutter for double-sided printing. I set the margins such that the pagination is the same beween the two versions.

The vast majority of students get only the ereader version, so I want a font that favors screen reading. I'm thinking of using Lucida. My concern is whether this font will work on all ereading devices. Am I okay if I embed the fonts in my pdf file? I know it might sound odd that a computer scientist does not understand exactly what embedding fonts does, but despite my years of study, I still have lots to learn.

Edit: I just learned that Lucida is not free, so I will use another font. But my question still holds.

Last edited by rplantz; 07-23-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Changed my mind about font
rplantz is offline   Reply With Quote