View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 04:00 AM   #68
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Define "early age". The notion certainly occurs to girls in high school, who are old enough to date, and old enough to have kids. They may not plan to act on it, but they'll be thinking about it. It will bear more heavily later. An ex-girlfriend described the girls's college she went to as a glorified finishing school, teaching cocktail conversation, with the implicit assumption that their career path was to become wives and mothers, and were learning the skills needed to snag a promising future doctor/lawyer/broker/etc. from the corresponding well rated boy's school.

That's another and better reason. One area where girls have historically lagged is mathematics. There's been a lot of debate over here about whether boys are simply inherently better due to slightly different brain wiring, or whether it's more a cultural issue based in an underlying attitude that girls aren't supposed to be good at math, and the girls pick up on the attitude and internalize it. It's another reason to school them separately from boys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
No, you've pegged the time period. Underlying changes in the society and the economy have squelched that assumption, and good riddance.
I answered your post with the assumption that you were talking of girls-only school of today, not of 40 years ago or earlier. Which is why I replied as I did. Your answer here confuses me; were you talking about girls-only school acting as "finishing schools" today or then? Because if you weren't talking about schools today, I would have to write you a new reply.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote