View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #57
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
A couple of suggestions on adding books to GR, FWIW.

1. Just go ahead and add 'em sans date. The absence of a date read implies that you didn't just read them and they won't be added to your current year's total. Also, you can hide something from your update feed, so people wouldn't notice them anyway unless they checked your profile.

2. Use an absurd default date for your additions. The drop-down years go back to 1914. Maybe you're a centenarian and were an early reader at that, but otherwise people won't be misled.

I add books as I think of them. Not everything, of course, but books that were important to me or that I'd like for my own reference. My own bottom line is that my GR lists are primarily for my own use. But since I love reading other people's booklists, anyone who wants to look can take a gander.
Thanks, good suggestions! I can add William Golding to my list for example as like almost everyone who went through public school I have read Lord of the Flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Just as an aside, those early Nobelists seem to be quite the slog. There are some exceptions, but oh, my!
Absolutely. Not to mention it being difficult to obtain any works by many of them through my local library. It's a long term project of mine, one I am often ready to see delayed by books that I am more interested in.