View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
No I've not read any Montale, though I will eventually get to him I am sure. I've been approaching it starting from the earliest date and with that I've only just started on the 1910-1920 range. It's better than that as when others have come up here I've read out of order. For example I've recently read The Grass is Singing by Doris Lessing, Cairo Modern by Naguib Mahfouz and Away from Her by Alice Munro. I have been only counting books read since I started using Goodreads, and that has left gaps of authors that I have read in the 55+ years prior to that. I would go back and add those if I knew how to put in dates that would not imply that I had just read the book.
A couple of suggestions on adding books to GR, FWIW.

1. Just go ahead and add 'em sans date. The absence of a date read implies that you didn't just read them and they won't be added to your current year's total. Also, you can hide something from your update feed, so people wouldn't notice them anyway unless they checked your profile.

2. Use an absurd default date for your additions. The drop-down years go back to 1914. Maybe you're a centenarian and were an early reader at that, but otherwise people won't be misled.

I add books as I think of them. Not everything, of course, but books that were important to me or that I'd like for my own reference. My own bottom line is that my GR lists are primarily for my own use. But since I love reading other people's booklists, anyone who wants to look can take a gander.

Just as an aside, those early Nobelists seem to be quite the slog. There are some exceptions, but oh, my!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote